- 4 large portobello mushrooms , stems removed and dry brushed clean
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free tamari (sub soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or preferred oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce (sub vegan steak sauce)
- 1-2 teaspoons liquid smoke (sub with 1 teaspoon smoked paprika)
- 1 large garlic clove , minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- salt and fresh cracked pepper , to taste
In a large and shallow baking dish, whisk all the marinade ingredients together. Taste and add more seasoning if desired (*note: the flavors will be concentrated).
Add the mushrooms to the dish and liberally brush the marinade on all sides. You can also spoon it on. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes, flipping and brushing again midway through the marinating time.
Heat a Grill, Grill Pan OR Skillet over medium-high heat. When fully heated, brush with oil and place the mushrooms on top (they should sizzle when they hit the pan). Don't move them once they are in the pan, just gentlypress down with a spatula or tongs. Give them a minimum of 4-5 minutes so they sear. Flip over and sear the other side, adding more oil if needed (you can also brush on more marinade). Grill until browned and tender about 4-5 minutes. Enjoy!