1 box white cake mix
zest of 2 large lemons
1/3 C. oil
1/2 C. plain yogurt or sour cream
1/2 C. buttermilk (you can do half lemon juice, it will make a denser cake and they won't rise as much)
Whipped Cream Topping:
8 oz cream cheese, from the fridge (still cold)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pint heavy whipping cream
Sprinkles and Fresh Fruit for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine lemon zest, eggs, oil, plain yogurt and buttermilk until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Whipped Cream Topping: Using a whisk attachment on your stand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat again. Stream in whipping cream and increase speed. Beat until stiff peaks form. (NOTE: make sure your mixing bowl is cold when you start, you can either run cold water on the outside of the bowl or pop it into the fridge!)
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles and fruit to give it a 4th of July flair!