Summer is just around the corner, and for many people it's time to break out the grill! We all know grilled vegetables make a great summer side dish, but fruits and veggies can also be used in grilled entrees and even desserts! We're highlighting produce that's perfect for summer grilling with our "From the Garden to the Grill" logo and in-store signage this summer, so keep an eye out!
Don't know where to get started with grilling produce? Check out these quick tips to grill like a pro:
1. Put Some Prep in Your Step
- Always clean your produce!
- Lightly coat ingredients with olive oil to avoid sticking on the grill
- Marinate vegetables with ingredients like garlic, herbs, olive oil, salt, and pepper
2. Not Just a Side Dish
- Clean portobello mushrooms and grill them whole for a great meatless burger!
- Grill halved peaches and nectarines for a sweet treat
- Get creative! Peppers, onions, mushrooms, and more all make great kabobs
3. Avoid the Burn
- Grill time for most produce is very quick - about 5-10 minutes!
- Use indirect heat when possible and keep produce out of the flame
- Soak wooden kabob skewers in water for 20 minutes before use